The Jerusalem Post writes on 20 October 2002:
Seven policemen, two IDF soldiers and another man were wounded Saturday night when settlers clashed with security forces over the last stages of the dismantlement of the illegal outpost of Havat Gilad, near Nablus, Saturday night.
The settlers who had lived in the outpost, who had not opposed the dismantling of the outpost by IDF Wednesday, returned to the site Thursday evening, accompanied by several other people.
Three of the policemen were lightly to moderately wounded in the head when stones were thrown at them. Four others were lightly wounded. The situation of the two soldiers, one male and one female, was as yet undisclosed, although one of them was evacuated from the site in an ambulance.
A report on Israel Television's Channel One News said the commander of police's Samaria District had instructed policemen to arrive at the area of the outpost with no helmets on and without the clubs they usually carry, to signify that "they come in peace."
The report added that there were some 180 settlers at the site , physically blocking security forces from dismantling one shack and two large containers still left standing at the site, Saturday afternoon.
Their numbers, according to the report, were growing steadily, the report said. Hundreds of settlers were still violently obstructing the security forces' work, the report said.
IDF and security forces personnel, including both men and women, were seen dragging settlers from the building, the report said.
Using their numerical advantage, the settlers reenter the shack whenever they are removed from it.
Moshe Zar, the father of Gilad Zar, who was killed in a terrorist attack on the site of the outpost, reportedly fainted during the clashes and was treated by IDF and police medical personnel. He was later reportedly evacuated from the site in an ambulance.
According to a report on Channel Two News, Zar had called on settlers not to confront police earlier Saturday.
Asked why settlers felt they could take the law into their own hands and confront police, Benzi Lieberman, the head of the Yesha Council of Jewish Communities in Judea and Samaria, said the outpost is "totally legal."
He said Defense Minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer did not "stand up to his words and promises," and blamed him for mobilizing dozens of IDF soldiers into action during the Shabbat, forcing them to desecrate it.
Several soldiers told Israel radio they were forced to desecrate the Shabbat when they were instructed by their commanders to at arrive at Havat Gilad. The report quoted soldiers, as well as some parents, as saying their commanders told them they were called in for active duty, and that the actions had been authorized by the Chief Army Rabbi.
In a message sent to Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Ben-Eliezer after the Shabbat, however, MK Zvulun Orlev (National Religious Party), said he had talked with the chief rabbi, who had told him he wasn't consulted by anyone on this matter.
Had he been consulted, the rabbi said, he would not have had authorized the soldiers to operate on the Shabbat.
Women in Green, an organisation that strongly supports the settlers, states that
the land has been bought by the Zar family, so the settlers were evicted from
As you know, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Defense Minister Fuad
The most outrageous story is the one of the "Gilad farm" and
The "Gilad farm" was put up after Gilad Zar HY"D was murdered.
Moshe Zar, in order to prevent any confrontation with the army, came
Moshe Zar agreed, naively believing the government would keep its
The implementation of the evil decree took place during this past
What can we do, you ask? It is of utmost importance to bombard the
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's faxes:
Defense Minister Fuad Ben Eliezer
Minister Effy Eitam